Rookie Camp supports the particular needs of our first-time campers while imparting the core values of Camps Airy & Louise. We understand that because every child occupies their own unique spot on a developmental range, some campers might need further support in taking on new challenges.
Rookie Camp is ideal for children who may already:
- Enjoy sharing their knowledge with others
- Have a refreshing curiosity about the world
- Use increasingly complex approaches to problem-solving
- Exhibit motor skills growth that ranges from skills acquisition to the beginning of athleticism
- Enjoy making friends
- Enjoy playing independently while responding to rules and procedures
- Begin to demonstrate empathy for others
- Express frustration with themselves or with others
- Begin to take on leadership roles
- Still rely on adults for comfort, safety and security
- Show a significant jump in their interest in arts, music, dance and drama with increased exposure
- Demonstrate language and literacy skills that create a foundation for future academic progress
- Given the capabilities and potential of children in this age group, our primary focus during Rookie Camp is on developmental play. As parents and educators, we fully recognize the importance of both structured and unstructured play for a child’s physical, social, emotional and cognitive development. We work to capture each child’s imagination while remaining aware of individual development timelines.
Ultimately, Rookie Camp is a great place for campers to begin developing their independent self-expression, creativity and self-confidence in a supportive and warm environment.