Louise Director’s Blog – July 2, 2021
MIDDAH OF THE WEEK – KINDNESS/CHESED
Each week, we talk about a different middah/value.
“Good character is not formed in a week or a month. It is created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good character.” Heraclitus, ancient Greek philosopher
During our Staff Orientation this year, we focused on hospitality/hachnasat orchim.
Maya Angelou said, “People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
When the campers arrived, we added on one of my favorites – kindness/chesed.
“Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.” Blaise Pascal
This Shabbat, SO many campers were nominated by staff and peers for demonstrating acts of kindness. I love when the campers run over to tell me all about a camper or counselor who they saw being kind…..
- Always being the first to comfort a friend
- Using kind words and welcoming behavior to everyone she meets
- Always helping her bunkmates and even offering to loan her Crocs to someone
- The first to walk a friend to the Health Center
- Overall an amazing friend
- Looking out for her friends
- Wanting to make sure everyone is happy!
- Advocating for a friend
- Cheering friends up
- Always wanting what is best for people
- Helping comfort people when they are sad
- Going above and beyond to ensure everyone (returning or new) feels welcome and included
- Constantly stepping up – whether through helping clean up or comforting a friend
- During every meal, helping to pass out bowls and just being so thoughtful
- Offering to clean the table and bunk even if it is not her mess
- Always looking for the positive and motivates others to do the same
- Always there for others to help make all situations better
- Giving up her spot in an activity she wanted to play during Sports & Fitness Night to let another friend participate in the activity
- Volunteering to help counselors and campers throughout the week
- Making an effort to be kind to campers from different friendship groups and bringing groups together.
- Helping out multiple campers out of the kindness of her heart – and not just from her own bunk – anyone who needs it
- Making bracelets for everyone in the bunk as well
- Writing letters to everyone who did not get mail so that they felt included
- Making a list of activities that she could do with her little bunk
- Being the “bunk mom” – overall super kind to everyone, offering to help out!
- Making an effort to get to know each and every CIT
- Staying late to help clean-up after meals
- Welcoming campers on Opening Day – what a superstar!
This Week’s Birthdays
JUNE 27 –
Noa – Bunk 26
Nala – Bunk 27
Kaitlyn – CIT
Megan – CIT
Kendall – Unit F Counselor
Garri – Bunk 28
JUNE 29 –
Naomi – Bunk 15
Emma – Bunk 18
Alex – Bunk 19
Nadine – Staff
JUNE 30 –
Hannah – Bunk 23
Callie – Bunk 22
Makayla – Bunk 19
Maddie – CIT
Hannah – Bunk 11
Marissa – Bunk 11
Ellie – Bunk 32
Shirah – Staff
Leslie – Swim Department Head
|Fruit||Make Your Own Sandwiches||Pasta|
|Cereal Bars||Chips||Garlic Bread|
High: 75°F | Low: 61°F
Sunny and cool – perfect sweatshirt camp weather!