Louise Director’s Blog – July 30, 2021
MIDDAH OF THE WEEK – Courage/Ometz lev (strength of heart)
This week’s focus was on courage/ometz lev.
- “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” John Wooden, coach
- Courage/ometz lev in Jewish life isn’t always about acts of bravery like scaling Mt. Everest. Instead, it’s about how you take the power of your own heart (lev) and use it to do normal things that scare you.
- “Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.” Brene Brown
- “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” ― K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
This Shabbat, campers were nominated to light candles with me for demonstrating courage:
- This first year Unit A camper has shown so much courage since she got to camp. She loves camp and has been so positive when trying new activities and making new friends. Her bravery has made her love camp.
- Another first year Unit A camper has found the courage to make many new friends from the moment she arrived.
- This Unit A camper was nervous to come to camp and was a little shy at first, but she has opened herself up to meet new people and really taking advantage of all that camp has to offer!
- This first year Unit B camper was nervous the first day, but she decided to push through and try to make the best of it. Now she’s made a lot of friends and she’s having a great summer!
- Another first year Unit B camper tried tomato soup and liked it AND she tried out for the play AND she tried a new activity during Sports and Fitness night when she didn’t get her first choice of an activity! She has also done so well adjusting and making new friends!
- This first year Unit C camper has tried so many new things. She has stepped out of her comfort zone by making so many new friends and trying out for the play. Also, she was super nervous about swim because she felt like she wasn’t strong enough but she persevered and was even nominated for Mermaid of the Day!
- This Unit D camper was nervous about coming to camp but has demonstrated courage by just being here and making the most out of every experience, including trying out for the play! And she loves camp too!
- These two Unit E campers showed courage by completing hard obstacles on the Adventure Park!
- This Unit F camper showed courage by coming to camp for the first time! She is so eager to meet people and to learn all about camp traditions!
- On the first day of camp, this CA took the initiative to help comfort an upset camper even before all of the CAs and campers had fully arrived at camp!
- This CA had the courage to come second session this year after always going first session. Her counselors are so proud of her!
This Week’s Birthdays
Charli – Bunk 21
Rebecca – CIT
Leah – CA
Jordan – Bunk 10
Ellie – Bunk 1
Lexi – Bunk 1
Zoey – Bunk 17
Liz – Wellness Team
Gracie – Bunk 19
Emily – Senior Camp Division Head
Simone – Bunk 19
Madyson – Bunk 29
|Cheesy Scrambled Eggs||Stuffed Shells||Challah|
|Hash Brown Patties||Garlic Bread||Soup|
High: 81°F | Low: 63°F
Sunny but cool too – gotta love sweatshirt mornings at camp!