Director’s Blog – July 29, 2016
Middah of the Week – Courage/Ometz Lev
Each week, we focus on a different middah – value. We spend time talking about how we can demonstrate that middah here at camp. This week our focus was COURAGE – OMETZ LEV.
Some discussion points for us included:
Ometz Lev bein adam lachavero – courage between people means using our strength to pull others up, not push them or keep them down.
Maya Angelou wrote:
“Having courage does not mean that we are unafraid.
Having courage and showing courage mean we face our fears.
We are able to say “I have fallen, but I will get up.”
Think about something you’ve always wanted to do. Notice what is keeping you from working toward that dream. Is there something you know you should accomplish but you keep finding a reason not to do it? Consider what might change if you applied a bit of ometz lev.
The culmination of our Middah of the Week program is Friday night Shabbat services before dinner. Campers are recognized for having demonstrated the middah. They get to come up and light Shabbat candles with me. I truly love this time of the week. After we light candles, each camper is presented with a white bandana – a little token of appreciation for their nomination.
This week, the campers were nominated for a variety of reasons:
- She did all of the activities on the ropes course and even went first, despite her fear of heights.
- She is not afraid to be her fun and goofy self and she encourages others to do the same.
- She was nervous to go on the Adventure Park and took her harness off, but after her bunkmates helped encourage her, she did it!
- She flew 12 hours by herself from China to come to Camp Louise. She embraces everything about camp and she always has a smile on her face. She not only has jumped into camp life, she also never hesitates to try anything new. She does a great job making friends with everybody even though English is not her first language.
- Even though camp was new to her the first night, she was able to pick herself up after that and she gained so much courage in order to have a great week.
- Even though she wasn’t feeling well the first night of camp, she was so mature about it and jumped right into camp.
- She is always enthusiastic and excited to try new activities at camp. She does it all with a smile and is ready for whatever comes her way!
Wishing everyone a courageous day!
Drew – Bunk 22
Skylar – Staff
|Eggs | Muffins | Berries | Cereal Bar||Turkey Meatball Sub | Veggie Meatball Sub | French Fries | Veggie Toppings | Caesar Salad | Salad Bar | Pasta Bar||Matzoh Ball Soup | Challah | Grape Juice | Fried Chicken | Roasted Chicken | String Beans | Roasted Potatoes | Salad Bar | Pasta Bar|
High: 85°F | Low: 68°F – An absolutely gorgeous day!