The Famous Berlin Challah
Feb 15, 2014
Use this recipe to make challah the way Alicia Berlin, our camp director, makes it- with an extra dash of honey for good luck!
- 1 1/4 Cup of Water
- 3 Egg Whites (Put egg yolks in fridge for later)
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons of Honey (or count to 10)
- 1/2 Cup of Butter or Margarine
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of Potato Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 5 Cups of Bread Flour
- 1 Tablespoon of Yeast
- Mix all ingredients in order they are listed.
- Before the yeast goes in, make a little hole in the bowl using the end of spoon of spatula. Put the yeast in the hole.
- Put into a bread machine, Kitchen Aid, or mixer for 1.5 hours. Make sure it is well mixed and kneaded before moving on.
- Cut up challah into amount wanted. For example, you can cut up three sections, then three more sub-sections to braid three loaves. Or, you could make many little challah knots.
- Braid challah but connecting the three sections at the top and bottom.
- Cover dough with a towel for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, paint dough with yolks.
- Bake for 18-24 minutes (this may vary depending on size, oven and crispy preferences).
- Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!